Ranking Thunder Bay Courses: My Top 5
by Scott A. Sumner
In many golf publications you see their rankings of courses in the world, US, Canada, Ontario etc. Here are my first rankings of courses in Thunder Bay! Hope you find them interesting.
2. Fort William CC
3. Strathcona GC
4. Thunder Bay CC
5. Northern Lights Golf Complex
1. Whitewater Golf Club in Thunder Bay, Ontario is a spectacular Tom McBroom design that plays up to 7300 yards from the black tees. It is situated in a pristine setting bounded by the soothing Kaministiquia River and the tranquil Rosslyn Oxbow Wetlands. On a beautiful, sunny,
summer evening you can play until 10 pm and enjoy a tranquil golf experience like never before! At a green fee of $53-$58 for many times of the week this is an absolute steal for the golfer looking for a tremendous golf course at a fair value. In my opinion the best valued
course in Ontario!
2. Fort William Country Club in Thunder Bay, Ontario offers a beautiful setting and excellent golf course for a green fee of $55 to $65 for all golfers. This championship layout has the Majestic Nor'Wester Mountain Range visible form all holes and offers a quiet natural setting for
your game. The Fort William Country Club was created in 1926 and the original architect was the renowned Stanley Thompson. In 1959 Norman Woods redesigned the course to the Championship 18 holes that it is today. This course has held a Canadian Tour event and has recently undergone extensive rebuild of all tee boxes. You will thoroughly enjoy your day at the Fort William Country Club.
3. Strathcona Golf Course in Thunder Bay, Ontario was designed by the city engineer of the day and has had several greens rebuilt over the years. This year a fully automatic irrigation system with double rows to service greens, tees and fairways is being installed and should be
up and running by the middle of August. This course, owned and operated by the City of Thunder Bay is known by golfers as a beautiful competitive layout that is very playable. Each year on the long weekend in August it hosts the prestigious Strathcona Invitational a three day
match play event which is attended by golfers from all over Ontario. Green fees as low as $32 provide a tremendous value for a great course.
4. Thunder Bay Country Club in Thunder Bay,Ontario was founded in 1910 and designed by Lord Stanley Thompson. Located in the heart of Thunder Bay this 9 hole layout with two distinct tee box locations on each hole has been a favourite for many years of the golfer who enjoys the proximity of the course to their home. The green fee of $52 provides an exceptionally well maintained course that will test your short game process as well as allow for some great driving holes. It is situated on a valuable piece of land adjacent to Lakehead University and the new $500 million Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. A fun golf course you should try!
5. Northern Lights Golf Complex in Thunder Bay, Ontario is a unique golf facility that combines a tremendous golf practice area of over 50 hitting stations with a 9 hole par 3 executive course and a full length 9 hole golf course. The setting some 10 miles outside of Thunder Bay
has the backdrop of the NorWestor's in the background and a tranquil rural feel. You can practice your game on the large driving range, tune your iron game on the par 3 layout and then test your overall skills on the full layout. Very unique to this course is having two distinct
greens on all of the regulation holes. This will allow for different play experiences! It is a great layout and great value at $15-20. Where can you golf for that in 2008!