THE PLAYERS Championship
Hot off the heels of a dramatic Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship will be returning May 10-15th. Northeast Florida has become a hotbed for travelers to see the best golfers in the world play on one of the most iconic courses in the sport.
The combination of field, course and fans produces an electric atmosphere and experience unlike anything else in the game. The course at Sawgrass was built, first and foremost, with the fans in mind. It is the first true “stadium course,” designed with sloping mounds, giving spectators an unobstructed view of play.
With both Graham DeLaet and David Hearn set to qualify, this year’s tournament will be an exciting one for Canadian fans who are either watching from Sawgrass or at home.
2015 TOURNAMENT FACTS & FIGURES
- THE PLAYERS 2015 had an attendance record
- Attendance was up 6% over 2014 which was 179,001
- 52.76% of attendees were from outside the 5-county area (Duval, St. Johns, Nassau, Clay and Baker)
- 922 million – Total households outside the United States that receive the broadcast of THE PLAYERS
- 226 – Total number of countries and territories that receive the broadcast of THE PLAYERS in 30 different languages
- Over 37 – Total hours of tournament coverage on Golf Channel and NBC
- 32.5 million – Viewers who tuned into Golf Channel and NBC to watch the 2015 tournament
- 1,120 – Total media staff members representing 174 media outlets and 15 countries
- $151 million – Estimated annual economic impact of THE PLAYERS on Northeast Florida
- 400+ – Businesses investing in THE PLAYERS through corporate hospitality and ticket programs
- Tournament Week – The busiest week of the year at Jacksonville International Airport
- $50 million – THE PLAYERS charitable goal announced in April 2011 over 10 years for local youth-related charities
- Nearly $67.5 million – Total dollars generated for Northeast Florida charities since 1977
- $7.5 million – Total generated for local charities in 2014
- 2,100+ – The number of local volunteers who make THE PLAYERS possible every year
- 300 – The number of Northeast Florida charities impacted by THE PLAYERS in 2015
Key Travel Info for Northeast Florida
- Ponte Vedra is just a couple hours north of Orlando/Disney World. If you’re travelling with kids, the tournament is the perfect pit stop on your way to the park. Plus, youth 18 and younger heading to THE PLAYERS get in free with an adult ticket.
- The Northeast of Florida has some of the best food in the region, world class accommodations and 42 miles of pristine beaches
- The nation’s most historic city – St. Augustine – has many exciting, family-friendly activities that will make the trip even more memorable.
THE PLAYERS Championship
- The combination of field, course and fans at THE PLAYERS Championship produces an electric atmosphere and experience unlike anything else in the game.
- THE PLAYERS Championship is played at TPC Sawgrass, an iconic course in Ponte Vedra Beach. Sawgrass was built first and foremost for the fans. It is the first true “stadium course,” designed with sloping mounds, giving spectators an unobstructed view of play, similar to a football or baseball stadium.
- Sawgrass boasts one of the most challenging holes in golf – the island green on the 17th hole. This hole is nerve-wracking for even the best golfers in the world, and remains one of the most photographed holes in all of golf.